If you are a newbie on the internet, you need to know the difference between domain names and web hosting so that you will be able to have a smooth online experience. Those two terms are web development terms with distinct meanings but interwoven.
Your domain name is your identity as well as address and it is what your visitors will use to locate you. These names are registered by ICANN ( Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers), a body with the mandate to oversee the process and it has accredited agents worldwide. Whenever you want to register a name, you have to get in touch with an agent who will do it for you. The registration fee varies from one agent to another and it is renewable every year. Free domains names are also available on the internet but there are terms attached to them ( read Free Domain Names - How To Strike A Great Deal).
After registering a domain name, you have to host it with a web hosting provider. You will be given a certain amount of file space to keep your files in accordance with the package you purchase. You will also be given bandwidth, email accounts, database tool, web design tool and other tools that will ensure the smooth running of your website. The bandwidth given to you is determined by your choice package and it determines the amount of files that visitors can access in a given period, usually monthly. You can pay for your web hosting service every month but if you pay for many months in advance, you will get a discount. In fact, you may be given a free domain name if you choose a package that has it. In most cases, a web hosting subscription of one year comes with a free domain name.
The understanding of the two terms, domain name and web hosting, is very vital for anyone who wants to succeed online. You should be able to distinguish between them and know how they function together. This way, you will be able to come up with the best strategies that will make your website to succeed on the World WideWeb.
$1/ mo Hosting + Free domain! Stick it to the slow websites!
About The Publisher
- Olushola George Otenaike is a webmaster, web developer, domain broker, writer as well as blogger and he has been doing all these since 1999. He is the CEO at Netlink Web Developers, publisher of SoFreeDomains and owns many blogs as well as websites. His areas of interest include science, philosophy and politics.
For advert placement, sponsored posts, web design or further information, contact email@example.com
Follow On Twitter
- ► 2016 (270)
- Should You Register Paid Or Free Domain Names?
- How To Choose A Web Hosting Package With Free Doma...
- How To Reduce Your Web Development Budget With Fre...
- How A Small Business Owner Can Benefit From Free D...
- How A Free Domain Name Can Boost Your SEO
- Free Domain Names - Why You Must Get One
- Free Domain Name - The Good And The Bad Sides
- How Domain Names And Web Hosting Differ
- How To Get An Ideal Web Hosting For Your Domain Na...
- Why You Need Multiple Domain Names For Your Websit...
- Free Domain Names - Why They May Not Be Absolutely...
- ▼ January (11)