If you want to launch an online presence for your business, you should avoid sub-domains. Sub-domains are arms of a top-level domain (TLD) and there are lots of restrictions associated to their use.
Owning a TLD is like buying a house while owning a sub web space is like renting a house. With a TLD, you have full control over your website and can do whatever you like with it. You can easily manage growth with a TLD as you only need to change your web hosting when your business grows. But if you are using a sub-domains and your business grows, you will have to get a TLD and this will lead to a change of address (URL).
Other benefits of a TLD that you won't get with a sub web space include DNS management, customizable email accounts (that is, firstname.lastname@example.org), database management, considerable bandwidth allocation, non-placement of unauthorized adverts on your website and so on. The only benefit of a sub web space is that you don't have t pay a dime for it. Consequently, if you are online for fun or your aim is to publish to certain groups of individuals without planning to monetize your posts, you can go for a sub-domain.
But if you are involved in a serious business and you want a successful online presence, you should get a top-level domain name. After all, it is not expensive to get a TLD and you can even register it for free if you deal with the right registrar. You will only be required to get a certain web hosting package and the free TLD will be included in the package. You should not take a risk with a sub web space because the long-term adverse effect is more than the short-term benefit it will give you. Hence, you should be careful with something like 'yourbusiness.companyABC.com', which is a sub-domain, but go for 'yourbusiness.com', which is a top-level domain.
Put your business online! Get a $8.99 .COM/.NET from GoDaddy!
About The Publisher
- Olushola George Otenaike is a webmaster, web developer, domain broker, writer as well as blogger and he has been doing all these since 1999. He is the CEO at Netlink Web Developers, publisher of SoFreeDomains and owns many blogs as well as websites. His areas of interest include science, philosophy and politics.
For advert placement, sponsored posts, web design or further information, contact email@example.com
Follow On Twitter
- ► 2016 (270)
- How To Get The Perfect Web Hosting For Your Domain...
- Best Domain Name Tactics For SEO
- What You Should Know About Country Code Top-level ...
- The Difference Between A Domain Name Registrar And...
- How You Can Prevent Domain Name Hijacking
- How To Get The Best WordPress Hosting For Your Dom...
- Can One Domain Name Be Enough For A Website?
- 5 Basic Tips Of A Small Business Domain Name Strat...
- Why You Should Consider New Domain Name Extensions...
- 5 Reasons For Registering Multiple Domain Names
- How You Can Buy An Already Registered Domain Name
- Why You Should Avoid Sub-Domains For Your Online P...
- How To Register A Free .Com Domain Name For Your S...
- Choosing The Right Domain Name To Boost Your SEO
- How To Use A Domain Broker Service
- How To Create A .Com Website Without Paying For A ...
- Should You Choose A Free Domain Name Registration?...
- ▼ June (17)