Registering a domain name is the first step you need to take in order to put your business online. However, there are two options open to you - paid or free domain name - and there are advantages as well as disadvantages in both options but this piece will focus on the free option.
Free domain names are mostly used as promotional tools by web hosting service providers. If you subscribe to certain hosting plans (at least 12-month subscription in most cases), you will get a free domain. One benefit of a free domain is that it will reduce the amount of money you will require to set up a website. Even though the span of the free domain is generally one year, you would have gained a lot of ground before it lapses and renewal will not be a problem for you.
In addition, it is advisable for you to register additional names that are similar to the one you are registering so that your competitors and cyber squatters will not take advantage of it. For example, if your website is 'car.com', you should register other variations like 'cars.com', 'caar.com', etc.You only need to forward these variations to your main site and those who want to tap from your hard labor will not be able to do so.
You can also register other extensions of your name like .net and .biz because web squatters are are very smart at their games. That means you may need to register names like 'car.net', 'cars.net', 'car.biz', 'cars.biz', etc. You can imagine spending a lot of material and human resources to optimize a site and cyber squatters will be reaping from where they did not sow at your expense. Hence, you should formulate the right strategy to protect your domain name.
Free domain names are very vital to the growth of the World Wide Web and they have encouraged the launch of many websites. However, it is very important for you to carry out your search properly so that you don't go for a sub-domain. A real domain is quite different from a sub-domain and if you go for the latter, you may not be able to achieve your online goal because you do not have the full control of it. Even though a web hosting company will give you a free domain name for one year, it is better than a sub-domain that is flooded with adverts and pop-ups (this is expected since they are giving you a free domain for life).
$1/ mo Hosting + Free domain! Stick it to the slow websites!
About The Publisher
- Olushola George Otenaike is a webmaster, web developer, domain broker, writer as well as blogger and he has been doing all these since 1999. He is the CEO at Netlink Web Developers, publisher of SoFreeDomains and owns many blogs as well as websites. His areas of interest include science, philosophy and politics.
For advert placement, sponsored posts, web design or further information, contact email@example.com
Follow On Twitter
- ► 2016 (270)
- ► 2015 (99)
- How To Boost Your Small Business With A Free Domai...
- 5 Mistakes You Should Not Make About Free Domain N...
- How To Discover The Right Domain Name For Your Web...
- Why You Must Be Careful With Free Domain Names
- How To Create A Website Without Buying A Domain Na...
- What You Really Need To Know About Free Domain Nam...
- Why You Need A Free Domain Name
- Free Domain Names - How To Strike A Great Deal
- The Difference Between Paid and Free Domain Names
- Free Domain Names - Why You Must Read Beyond The L...
- Are Free Domain Names Dependable?
- What Free Domain Names May Not Do For You
- ▼ December (12)