I read the story of a religious group in North Carolina whose website was acquired by a gay fanatic upon expiration and used to promote homosexuality. If you allow your domain name to expire before renewal, someone else may get it and use it for what you may or may not like.
Domain names are generally registered for one year and subsequently will be due for renewal. However, you can register for more than one year - two years, five years, ten years, etc.- so that the domain is sealed for many years and its expiration will not occur unexpectedly. It is unimaginable to optimize a website and allow the domain to expire; it is better to sell than lose the domain through expiration.
Recently, cooleffect.com expired and was acquired by MostWantedDomains. If you observe this expired domain very well, you will discover that it is a two-lettered domain which is a hot cake in the market. I feel bad for the owner of cooleffect.com because he would have made at least a four figure from the selling instead of losing it.
As a result of this, you should plan ahead by registering for multiple number of years but if you cannot afford to do so, you should ensure that you set your account to automatic renewal through your registrar. Doing this is not difficult, you only need to log into your domain account and click on manage domains. Check your domain settings and it should automatically be set to auto-renewal but if not, set it yourself to auto-renewal. This way, you will not have to worry about renewal since it will be automatically renewed at expiration, if there is enough funds in your account.
$1/ mo Hosting + Free domain! Stick it to the doubters! Put your big idea online!
About The Publisher
- Olushola George Otenaike is a webmaster, web developer, domain broker, writer as well as blogger and he has been doing all these since 1999. He is the CEO at Netlink Web Developers, publisher of SoFreeDomains and owns many blogs as well as websites. His areas of interest include science, philosophy and politics.
For advert placement, sponsored posts, web design or further information, contact email@example.com
Follow On Twitter
- ► 2016 (270)
- Types Of Web Hosting For Your Domain Name
- How To Avoid Trademark Infringement During Domain ...
- How To Get A Free .Com Domain Name
- How You Can Set Up A Custom Domain In Blogger
- How To Know If You Need A VPS or Dedicated Server ...
- How To Strike A Great Domain Deal
- How To Boost Your Domain Name Portfolio
- Why You Should Not Wait For Your Domain Name To Ex...
- How To Register A Domain Name Like A Pro
- Why You Must Get .Design Domain Name Extension
- How To Properly Host Your Domain Name
- Why You Should Own Your Name’s Domain Before Someo...
- How You Can Create An Email Account For Your Own D...
- Why You Must Know About .Sucks Domain Names
- How To Move Your Free Website To Your Own Domain
- How To Sell A Domain Name Like A Pro
- How You Can Buy A Domain Name Like A Pro
- The Effect Of New Generic Top-level Domains On Bus...
- How To Transfer Your Website To A New Generic Top-...
- How To Transfer Your Domain Name To Another Person...
- How To Move Your Domain Name To A New Registrar
- Free Domain Name Registration – The Web Hosting Co...
- How New Domain Name Extensions Can Boost Your Doma...
- Why You Need Multiple Domain Names For One Website...
- ▼ May (24)